30 May, 2008

Lea Salonga My Life...On Stage


there are a few performers in my book that 'can do no wrong'...and so, when presented with the opportunity to watch 'the lea salonga' live, i immediately counted myself in...who knows when i'll be able to see her perform live again, right? Watched the philippine run of Miss Saigon like 3 times, and nearly sellin' my soul just to make sure i get to watch at least what we used to call at the time a 'Lea Show' ~and my goodness, did i watch two!!! That done, with only one day of absence from my FOH Head duties during tanghalang ateneo's run of saint joan of the stockyards...but, i'm getting so far off my review now.


First, i would like to thank mr. michael williams for providing us with the tickets...and what i consider an "inspiration reboot" from what i consider to be quite a draining summer...i have dealt with so much orientalia and have seen every shade and pattern on chinese silk that even if someone paid for my ticket to china with 5 star hotel accomodations, i would -without batting ang eyelash- say no [sans the tragic earthquakes]...but of course, My Reflection still took a few bars at the overture and was sung by Lea -her version, ten years now, seems unchanged. [and the Mulan Production Design Panic Clock ticked on at the back of my head...]

Back to the show...
I guess it doesn't take much for the world to agree with me that Lea Salonga still has it: that beautiful voice, the stage presence, that expected degree of high calibre showmanship...[supported by a surprising chorus of sorts comprised of acclaimed musical theatre talents like Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo and of course, Michael Williams...i'm not making 'sipsip' to the boss, okay...]

I love the way they deconstructed the Chorus Line song 'Nothing' into a storytelling of her journey from awkward pop talent to being a miss saigon auditonee. The script of the narratives were well thought of -not like your usual revolting sentimentality as that of regine velasquez's 'saving face' tribute at that lousy afternoon show. And that Menudo song wasn't like 'ewww, the 80s!' but more like 'i wanna sing to that'. i was really at the edge of my seat when she sang Defying Gravity. Plus, i had more than my expected fill of musical theatre songs [the lack of which for a long time, have been filled by dvd performances i've played over and over]. Aga Muhlach's cameo was amusing...i could sense the kilig factor which makes me wonder if star cinema would offer them another movie...

The production design was okay, it had that rotating contraption that reminded me of the set of her araneta coliseum show a few years back with that red floor and christmas tree...and then i saw Mio Infante, so enough said about recycling designs. And Rajo Laurel really made up with bling what he lacked in daresay 'originality'? [but lea pulled it off, even if micko -seatmate- wanted to rip off that dust-ruffle cape she was wearing...which makes me wonder if rajo's inspiration was a disco ball for i spent more time dodging bling hurtling towards mine eyes...or... or...or the theme could have been 'my reflection in sequins and swarovski components'?]

Ria Ortega and i were confirming titles of songs and from which musical they were taken from. Micko and Pammu played advocatus diabolique to my comments. My cousin Aurelia sat quietly beside me...

And in the end, i went home with that 'an evening at the theatre' feeling: entertained, elated, enjoyed the company of friends, took a stab at being a critic, and a bit inspired...

No comments: